Minnesota Secretary Of State - UCC General Questions
Skip to main content

UCC General Questions

Q: How long is my filing active?

A: Financing Statement, Statutory Agricultural liens are active for 5 years.

A Transmitting Utility is perpetual. 

Manufactured Home and Public Finance liens are active for 30 years.     

A Continuation filing will extend the duration of the filing for an additional 5 years.



Q: Where can I get UCC forms?

A:  Click here for the International Association of Commercial Administrators (IACA) forms, the only forms acceptable for filing UCC financing statements.  Only one copy is required. 



Q: How do I know you have received and filed our paper document?

A: We will return an acknowledgement copy to you that will be file stamped.



Q: Does a UCC-3 Termination change the status of a UCC filing?

A: No, the UCC-3 Termination does not change the status of a filing. The UCC filing remains in the active database until it has lapsed.



Q: Is the debtor signature required for UCC filings?

A: No, Minnesota Statutes contain no signature requirements.



Q: Is there an extra cost for additional pages or debtor names or is the $20 per filing fee a flat fee?

A: The fee is a flat fee of $20 when filing by paper or online regardless of the number of pages or names submitted.



Q:  Can more than one action on one UCC-3 form be checked?

A:  Yes, there is a $20 fee for each action checked on the form, so make sure when completing the form that the actions are checked accurately.



Q: Is the SSN required on UCC Filings?

A: No, Minnesota Statutes contain no SSN requirements.



Q: What makes a UCC form Standard?

A: The International Association of Commercial Administrators (IACA) forms are the only acceptable forms for filing UCC financing statements. Only one copy is required.



Q: What is the mailing address for UCC filings and search requests?

A:  Minnesota Secretary of State - Uniform Commercial Code

      First National Bank Building

      332 Minnesota Street, Suite N201

      Saint Paul, MN 55101



Q: Who do I make the check payable to?

A: Your check can be made payable to the Minnesota Secretary of State.



Q: How do I contact you?

A: You may contact the UCC Department by email or phone:

     Email: ucc.dept@state.mn.us

     Fax: 651-296-2803 opt. 4

     Greater MN toll free: 1-877-551-6767